Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum
The forum of the Aberdeenshire Cricket Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  RSS 

Points system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greeny
Cover drive
Cover drive

Cricket Club: Ellon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Points system Reply with quote

Just wondering what people think about this point system, it was used in the league I played in when I was at uni down south.

45 overs aside, ban the draw. Maximum of 10 points per game.

Point shared by the 2 teams depending on the result.

If Team A wins by 100 runs or 9 wickets they get 10 points, Team B get 0

If Team A wins by 75 runs or 7 wickets they get 9 points, Team B get 1

If Team A wins by 50 runs or 5 wickets they get 8 points, Team B get 2

If Team A wins by 25 runs or 3 wickets they get 7 points, Team B get 3

If Team A wins by 10 runs or 1 wicket they get 6 points, Team B get 4

In a tied game each team gets 5 points.
user50
Forward defensive
Forward defensive

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said "Ban the draw"...so how can you get a tied game? Wink
Art
Late cut
Late cut

Cricket Club: artisans

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a bit rubbish to be honest Greenie.

Team A Played 10 Won 4 Lost 6 Points 64
Team B Played 10 Won 10 Lost 0 Points 60

Thatís an extreme example of course, but I donít like that system at all.

If the draw was to be scrapped (not that I think it should), Iíd favour a simpler 4 for a win, 2 for a tie, 0 for a loss system.
user46
Forward defensive
Forward defensive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Points system Reply with quote

The draw and the tie are two diferent animals

Tie = when scores by both sides are equal this is a draw in fitba but nae in creekeet .
user53
Outside edge
Outside edge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, if you are sure you will win, you can play around with the batting order or give less able bowlers a chance. You can do this because you will still get your 30 points.
You may give away some points to your oponent but it makes the game more interesting.
Under this proposed system if you are chasing a low total and move your regular 10 and 11 batsmen up the order you risk loosing points by turning a seven wicket win (9 points) into a five wicket win (8 points) or worse.
Likewise giving a bowler a couple of overs when you know he'll go for 20 or 30 runs.
This would lead to an even more boring game for the less able (more [deleted]) amongst us and we wouldn't get the opertunity to improve.
And do you really think there should be such a small differance between a one run win and a one run loss?

I agree with you about the draw though. It can ruin an otherwise perfectly enjoyable game.
Greeny
Cover drive
Cover drive

Cricket Club: Ellon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if it is a close game the points both teams get should reflect the result. In my experiance it led to more enjoyable cricket because it forced teams to play more attacking cricket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: