Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum
The forum of the Aberdeenshire Cricket Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  RSS 

1 up - 1 down?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
user11
On drive
On drive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: 1 up - 1 down? Reply with quote

Is it time to consider 1 up,1 down for relegation and promotion between all the grades?

To me it makes sense in that it keeps more teams of similar standard together therefore more competative games.

I certainly don't buy into the thought that there is a massive difference in class between Grade 1 and 2,other than there's a few more decent bowlers in Grade 1 but I still think 1 up 1 down makes sense.

Question
user50
Forward defensive
Forward defensive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah...2 up 2 down is better. Look no further than the SPL for how much a 1 up 1 down system stagnates a league. It's better that you play teams you're not so familiar with IMHO so that the leagues are kept fresh.
user57
Play and miss
Play and miss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely Grade 2 this year has proved that 2 up/down is appropriate.

Kemnay & Academy struggling now to bounce back.

Gordonians and Cresent both should stay up with the latter possibly going to Grade 1.

When our 2nds were in Grade 4 a few years ago the 1 up scenario applied then was a nightmare and when we finally reached the promised land of the 3rd division we easily met the level required.
gilly
Reverse sweep
Reverse sweep

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfie.............. here wolfie wolfie wolfie ................. <whistles tunelessly> prepare for some slagging tomorrow!!!! no cucumber sannies son of steve bull!!!
kato
Forward defensive
Forward defensive

Cricket Club: Portcullis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Standards Reply with quote

Everyone keeps referring to the small difference between Grades 1 and 2. You would think that cricket in G3 is not worthy of the name! I would imagine that the guys from Crathie would agree with me that the competition in Grade 3 is of a similar standard to most of Grade 2. As we can see this year, the 2 that came down are not definites for immediate promotion.
I would suggest, given how Crescent have performed this year, and as stated above, how easy Cults 2 have found it to stay up, that there is not a lot of difference between grades 2 and 3. Crescent were one of 3 or 4 teams that were all of a roughly similar standard when they got promoted.
One up one down would not work as well as the present system because it does stagnate the leagues and it is entirely conceivable that you could have a few teams in a lower league of a much higher standard than the league above, with no chance to move up. I know that some of us primarily play for the pub afterwards, but there has to be some sort of goal for each team, whether it be promotion or avoiding relegation. By going to 1 up 1 down, there would be less incentive half way through the season, and more teams would just play for the pub!
user11
On drive
On drive

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: standards Reply with quote

Your probably right Kato re Gd's 2+3,Crescent have indeed been worthy opponents this year as Methlick were last year.I certainly wasn't disrespecting Gd 3 its just that I don't have much experience of it so am not in a position to comment too much.
JuniorMcBrine
Play and miss
Play and miss

Cricket Club: Anchorians

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Standards Reply with quote

It seems to me that most clubs in the lower grades have three/four top players and that the performance of these players generally determines the outcome of the games and the standard of the cricket played. The shift to 12 overs a bowler was an important move in this respect, as this often sees a radical reduction in the standard of bowling on offer, and the standard of batting required.
user46
Forward defensive
Forward defensive

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: standards Reply with quote

Sudkurve wrote:
Your probably right Kato re Gd's 2+3,Crescent have indeed been worthy opponents this year as Methlick were last year.I certainly wasn't disrespecting Gd 3 its just that I don't have much experience of it so am not in a position to comment too much.

I agree with my clubmate ..... who ever he is .. cant think of any of our lot who can speak sense !!!

This gives me the chance to air a regular moan ...sorry

I agree that everyone wants to play against same standard teams .As any one side team such as Cresent who like us slipped down to the old G5 will attest getting out was difficult with two club sides loosing most of their matches then on the penultimate game of the season loading their side to avoid dropping into a lower grade (to play against sides of a similar standard!)
How did this affect you? well if you needed to win that game to get the one promotion spot then you were stuffed .We lost out on the one promotion spot by a ba'hair one year when Stonehaven registered their only win of the year in G4 .. when their first team were not in action!
Having looked at your lot on DP2 over the last few years fromDP3 our bowling is better than yours but your batting is stronger .I think the top 3 in G3 could ,on their day ,give most of G2 a stuffing ...and vice versa
crescentboy
Forward defensive
Forward defensive

Cricket Club: Crescent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen I think it's more like Grade 2 and 3 that are fairly similar standard, probably also including the bottom couple of sides from grade 1. I think there are some very good individual players in Grades 2 and 3, who on their own can win a game, but they won't do that once they get up to grade 1.

The top 6 or 7 clubs in grade 1 are of a much higher standard than most of grade 2.

That said with it being donkey's years since Crescent were in Grade 1, we would like to have the chance to test ourselves with the big boys, even though we know we'd get gubbed more than a few times!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: