Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum
The forum of the Aberdeenshire Cricket Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  RSS 

Spirit of the Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gilly
Reverse sweep
Reverse sweep

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bore needs a lift to the sportsmans!!! Taxi!!!!
The Grizzly Bore
Late cut
Late cut

Cricket Club: THE BONS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry ,don't do crowds....
Duke
Forward defensive
Forward defensive

Cricket Club: Stonehaven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In layman's terms one day cricket, short form should be win or lose. It should also keep it simple, with incentivised batting/bowling points to keep the losing team competitive.

I hope we can get there.

The 'activated' draw is a half way house in that it must be better than what we have but highly risks being burdened with rules and sub rules.
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cricket Club: Portcullis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The activated draw was proposed by the Rules Committee in 2008 and rejected by the clubs. The wording of the proposal can be found here

I don't really see the point of asking the AGM to vote on it again - or anything else for that matter - unless there is clear support from the clubs. If you can't even manage to get the backing of three large clubs, then you're not going to get it passed at the AGM.
gilly
Reverse sweep
Reverse sweep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Pessimistic perhaps Purps?
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gilly wrote:
Mr Pessimistic perhaps Purps?

Mr Realistic.

Been here too many times before.
Le Chien
Cover drive
Cover drive

Cricket Club: Kemnay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Spirit of the Game Reply with quote

We need to stop looking at previous cases and stuff and look to the future lads,

in 2008, I was 15 years old and Kemnay struggled to get out 1XI, going by the threads of emails, there are a lot of new guys in cricket here all with similiar views on changes and I am positive that with the right proposals it will now be a case of certain teams saying no but being outvoted by us lads looking for a change.

There are 3 proposals going around the threads - the first 2 (overseas amatuer rule change & cup-tying players) i believe will be in place based on the response and what clubs those responses are coming from. Number 3, the activated draw, is a bit more complicated but with the proposal coming from gordos, we're fully behind it and a few of the other clubs are also being convinced, i feel we can get this change too with the backing of a few others, even if it is just trialed for say 2 seasons, cant do much harm can it?

We need to stop dwelling on the past if this game is going to progress & I am looknig forward to tomorrows meeting with optimism that all 3 can get the required backing it needs to be put through to the AGM and then we can work on convinving the clubs involved from there,

#changeisgood

LC
The Grizzly Bore
Late cut
Late cut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone interested in this might be interested in this too!!

http://www.bonaccordcc.co.uk/crikipedia/criki_abolitionists.htm
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Spirit of the Game Reply with quote

Le Chien wrote:
We need to stop dwelling on the past if this game is going to progress & I am looknig forward to tomorrows meeting with optimism that all 3 can get the required backing it needs to be put through to the AGM and then we can work on convinving the clubs involved from there

The point I am making is that if you can't even manage to get three big clubs to back and formally propose the changes then it would be wrong to ask the Rules Committee to propose them, because there clearly isn't any chance that they'd be passed at the AGM.

My experience of the AGM - and I've been to a few - is that it is rare for anyone to cast their club's vote based on the discussions at the meeting. Most will have decided long in advance which way they will vote.

Love the crikipedia link Bore - it even has a link to the original "ban the draw proposal" that I drafted for the 2004 AGM... no draws, Twenty20 cup matches, revised points, earlier starts ... it's spooky !

Last edited by MrPurple on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greeny
Cover drive
Cover drive

Cricket Club: Ellon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I can't make it tomorrow.

I agree with banning the draw, but there needs to be a fair points system for it.
I'd have a points system with 10 points of offer:
If the winning team win by 100 runs/9-10 wickets points split would be 10-0
80 runs/7-8 wickets 9-1
60 runs/5-6 wickets 8-2
40 runs/3-4 wickets 7-3
20 runs/1-2 wickets 6-4
Tie 5 each.
I reckon this would reward teams more fairly, especially in low scoring games. Take the Cults 59ao v Bons 53ao game, a 6-4 points split would have been a much fairer reflection of the game rather than the current systems 30 v 11.

As for the cup I wouldn't support 20/20 it's not like the Turriff cup is immune to teams scratching or is oversubscribed, if anything it may promote more scratches, could people be bothered driving to Huntly, Balmoral etc for a 20/20 game? I'm not sure I could.
Personally I'd go the other way and make it 50 overs, proper fielding circles and power plays.
The Grizzly Bore
Late cut
Late cut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, The Turriff Cup is an ADDITIONAL competition, not surprising that clubs won't enter for it, when they don't even enter for their respective league cups.
50 overs a side? Would you drive to Huntly or Crathie for that? You spending the night up there? You wouldn't get home by midnight.
The Point of T20 is that it takes less time, you could play 2 maybe even three ties on the same wicket instead of finding three wickets for each tie.
It's also more exciting and different from league games.
Greeny
Cover drive
Cover drive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so you play the semis and final on the same day at the same ground. You play the first semi at 1100 and then have to hang round to play in the final which doesn't finish until 120 overs have been played finishing maybe 7-730. That's still a 'kin long day. If you turn up to play for 6+ hours I'd rather be involved in the game for the entire period rather than be a spectator for a 3rd of it.

More exciting? Maybe if that's what floats your boat, it doesn't float mine. I suggest 50 over cricket in the cups as it would give youngsters a taster of what they'd be playing at a higher level if they wish to go down that road.
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or you play the games at DP so the semi finals are simultaneous, and you get a bonus runner up final too so every team gets two games.
Greeny
Cover drive
Cover drive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrPurple wrote:
...or you play the games at DP so the semi finals are simultaneous, and you get a bonus runner up final too so every team gets two games.
It's the cup so I'm assuming the games will be played on a Sunday... So DP is out of the window. Plus why should all the games be played in Aberdeen? Hardly fair on all of the out of town teams (I live in Aberdeen so it wouldn't be an issue for me).
Chris
Square cut
Square cut

Cricket Club: Inverurie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know something that we don't about getting back into Duthie Park next year?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: