Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum
The forum of the Aberdeenshire Cricket Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  RSS 

No Indoor Practice this week and the latest news on Amit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Lard
Cover drive
Cover drive

Cricket Club: Portcullis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: No Indoor Practice this week and the latest news on Amit. Reply with quote

Hello all,
As you should know already the hall at Sheddocksley is not booked this weekend. Perhaps a blessing in disguise following last Sunday’s accident.

For those of you not aware of yesterday’s incident, Amit (sorry I do not know his surname) of Aberdeen Super Kings was struck in the eye from an off drive from one of the nets. Being a cricket ball and with him not having any time to react to the strike (and it was really travelling) he received the full impact of the ball on his eye socket. I did not see the ball hit him but heard it impact on him and that was enough to put a shiver down my spine.
Thanks to those who had a knowledge of first aid and the Sheddocksley attendant herself Amit was attended to. An ambulance was contacted and arrived quickly to take Amit off to hospital.
Having messaged Magesh Devendran of Aberdeen Super Kings I was told that Amit has received stitches under his eyes and he may have a few fractures around his eye. He was kept in overnight but was discharged today at 3pm. Fingers crossed that he does not have those fractures and no other injuries from this unfortunate moment.
With this in mind and having chatted to a few of those that witnessed it as well as discussing what happened with Robin Taylor we feel it is best from now on we do not practice with the normal cricket balls in the hall and from now on use indoor balls for the net sessions.
Robin came up with the idea that we store 24 or say indoor balls at Sheddocksley for future indoor practices and use them. I have looked at Ebay and Amazon so far but have not purchased any as of yet.
I thought maybe a fairer solution would be to get each club to provide three indoor balls each to be stored at Sheddocksley for everyone’s use (nine clubs x 3 balls = 27 balls). That way is probably the most cost efficient solution. As the nets are quite cheap anyway the additional costs for the indoor balls should be covered by the fees you receive from your players for attending.
The best indoor balls I have used tend to be the bowling machine balls. These are they:
#
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Paceman-Bowling-Machine-Pack-Balls/dp/B00HZY4N2K/ref=sr_1_1/254-6815965-1502311?ie=UTF8&qid=1485194369&sr=8-1&keywords=cricket+machine+balls

I have just found these at £26:00 + postage – excellent value I say for 12. I will give it till Friday to hear back from you all whether to give me the go-ahead to purchase these or whether you wish to supply three balls yourself. I will purchase these myself and get the money back from yourselves through the Grades billing system that we use for the nets anyway (if that is okay with you Ian!).

If any of you perhaps out there are thinking we are being a bit hasty ( and I don’t think you are) I believe it is best to be pro-active. I do not want to see another player get injured like that again during our collective indoor sessions.
Everyone’s safety is paramount.

Once again if you have any thoughts or queries please get in touch through the usual channels.

Thanks,

Ronnie

Ronnie Falconer
Secretary
Portcullis Cricket Club
Tel: 01224 423133 (w) 01224494415 (h) 07881347136 (m).
Email: Ronnie.falconer@langstane-ha.co.uk
Ronnie@ronniefalconer8.wanadoo.co.uk
sinclair
Outside edge
Outside edge

Cricket Club: inverurie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Accident. Reply with quote

A bowling machine ball will still do you serious damage if it hits you when you're not looking - it's nearly as heavy as a proper ball. It's fundamental at net practices that you must NEVER turn your back on the action or look away when not protected by the net. Hope the guy's all right.
StevenL
Chinese cut
Chinese cut

Cricket Club: Turiff CC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Paceman bowling machine at Turriff. The balls are much, much lighter than the 5oz Bola machine balls. You will actually struggle to bowl them 22 yards. Buy cheap buy twice!

The Bola balls work really well for the batsman (the bounce is a lot more realistic) and are heavy enough to bowl with your arm, but no seam and dimples will train all but the most naturally consistent bowlers to bowl the wrong length.

Marginally, I'd rather be hit in the face with a Bola ball than an actual cricket ball, but they come off the bat harder, and travel through the air faster, so there isn't much in it. I've been hit hard in the gut by one of these from a bowling machine cranked up to full whack. It caused heavy bruising and I think had it hit me a bit higher it would have likely cracked a rib.

Proper indoor cricket balls would the best all round solution, but they cost £15 - £25 each. Bola balls are OK. With Paceman balls I reckon you will struggle to keep the bowlers interested in even trying.

I hope you get well soon Amit.

Steve
The Lard
Cover drive
Cover drive

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Indoor Practice. Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have not heard from everyone but those I have heard from are in agreement about stopping using the harder balls indoors.

I have ordered a dozen of the Paceman balls to see what they are like. They are due in on Tuesday but I hope they will be in by tomorrow. Crescent CC have brought similar balls in the past and I think they will be safer than the normal cricket balls. If they are up to scratch I will order another dozen and have stored at Sheddocksley for the following Sunday.

There has been other suggestions on the types of balls we should use and I am open to ideas. However I am working to a budget as I don’t want to discourage teams from the Indoor Practices due to a dramatic hike in costs.
I will keep you posted.
Cheers,

Ronnie

Ronnie Falconer
Secretary
Portcullis Cricket Club
Tel: 01224 423133 (w) 01224494415 (h) 07881347136 (m).
Email: Ronnie.falconer@langstane-ha.co.uk
Ronnie@ronniefalconer8.wanadoo.co.uk
The Lard
Cover drive
Cover drive

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Indoor Practice. Reply with quote

Hi Stephen,
You make fair points with regards to the quality of balls that will be used in place of the normal cricket balls.
In short the use of outdoor cricket balls is not an option. In place we are looking for appropriate indoor balls that are much safer. Even if we were to wish to continue with the outdoor ball, last Sunday's accident will probably see the Sports Centre (rightly) not allow us to use them anyway.
The suggestion at present is to keep a set of indoor balls at Sheddocksley for the indoor sessions. I agree the balls I have suggested do not have a seam and are therefore perhaps discouraging for bowlers to use. However they are there as a basic supply for use. There would be no problem in bringing your own indoor cricket ball for personal use should you wish.
Neil Cameron of Cricket Scotland recommended the Readers (A120) yellow indoor ball. To my knowledge these balls retail at £10-£25 each.
I cannot see any problem using one of those should you wish. Long term I would imagine we would all want to find a decent authentic set of cricket indoor balls that would replicate the outdoor ball. The balls I am suggesting in the meantime I hope would reduce or eradicate the risk of a similar event (along with other measures) ever happen again.
StevenL
Chinese cut
Chinese cut

Cricket Club: Turiff CC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of a seam is irritating, but a minor issue compared to the weight of the Paceman ball. The 5oz Bola ball that I've used netting with Crescent is OK to bowl with and bounces well in the nets. It's good practice for the batsman. It shafts the bowlers though, because if you train to bowl a good length using a 5oz Bola ball you will bowl full tosses with a 5.5oz Dukes. But the Paceman balls are a completely different kettle of fish.

Did anyone try with the Paceman balls on Sunday? When I've attempted to bowl with them I've felt like I'm going to dislocate my shoulder trying to make them reach the batsman at a reasonable pace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: