Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum
The forum of the Aberdeenshire Cricket Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  RSS 

I do declare

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raoul
Square cut
Square cut

Cricket Club: Portcullis CC

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: I do declare Reply with quote

I was involved in a game at the weekend where the team batting first declared.

Under the old rules this was fine and made sense in some situations but with the rule changes I wonder if this should be acceptable.

By declaring with six wickets down the batting team prevents the bowling team from being able to get full points for bowling them out.

Had they continued to 45 overs we may have got a couple more wickets. Or maybe all of them. At the end of the season those points may make the difference between staying up and relegation.

What are your thoughts? Should an early declartion be allowed? Should it mean the bowling team get full points?
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cricket Club: Portcullis

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very interesting question, and is something I've not considered before.

I'd be interested to know why the batting side decided to declare. I must admit I see no advantage to be gained except in way you've outlined.
sinclair
Outside edge
Outside edge

Cricket Club: inverurie

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: I do declare. Reply with quote

Rule 17 (c) is crystal clear.

Declarations usually occur because the captain feels his team has enough runs, and there is nothing to be gained from batting on, which turned out to be the case here.

Wickets not taken don't earn bonus bowling points. Obvs.
Raoul
Square cut
Square cut

Cricket Club: Portcullis CC

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Purple,

I wasn't there at the time but have heard from others that the opposition captain was surprised not to get the extra overs to bowl us out when our last batsmen walked off after 45 overs.

My guess is that there are some players (some captains) who aren't aware of the rules changes.

Sinclair,

I'm not questioning the application of the rules, it's clear, I'm questioning whether the rules are sufficient.

I'm not having a go at the other team, I don't believe for a second that their intention was to declare in order to deprive us of extra bowling points. What I'm saying is that could be the result of a declaration and it could theoretically change the final positions of teams in the league.

Three seasons ago we were relegated by about 3 points. And then the team that stayed up folded. If that happens this year I'll be thinking about the four overs that we didn't get to bowl against new tail end batsmen with our opening bowlers.

Is this something we should look at for next season? Would it even be possible to come up with a workable rule?

I'm just asking the question.
Rick O Shea
Outside edge
Outside edge

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raoul's interpretation is pretty fair (I believe it was a simply a lack of awareness of the rules rather than any dark forces at work) - however the concerns raised are valid.

We could have gained extra bowling points which would have had no effect on the outcome of the game but could be significant for us at the end of the season.

I wouldn't argue for full bowling points being awarded - that could end up being silly (250 runs on the board with one wicket down after 40 overs wouldn't merit the bowling side many points) but a point for every over short of the 45, perhaps.
The Lard
Cover drive
Cover drive

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: I do declare. Reply with quote

For what it's worth.
The Grades rules have changed recently(and for the better IMHO) and a couple of big rules have came in this season to speed up the game. One is the 15 overs bowled per hour and the other is the introduction of the rain calculator to force positive results.
The 15 overs is brought in to speed up games. The Grades feel we are maybe losing players to the game due the amount of time taken up on a Saturday to complete fixtures.
Stonehaven, by declaring, in effect sped up the match. A good thing.
We, Portcullis, did not bowl well enough to either: a) take more wickets or b) bowl tightly enough to enforce Stonehaven to bat their full quota of 45 overs.
That is our fault, not theirs.
I think it would be negative to enforce teams to bat out their full quota of 45 overs when there was really no need.
I also think declarations enhance tactical awareness.
I give you an example - let's say Stonehaven -second in the league - go into the last game of the season at home to AGSFP 2nds. They are 22 points behind. They need to win this match and concede no more than seven points to wwin the League. This stimulates tactical and rule awareness. My guess is that they would bowl first if they won the toss and hope to roll them. If they lose the toss and have to bat first they would surely have to strike a balance between posting a score for the loss of the fewest wickets. They would probably get to around 130-140 for no wicket (and go down in 15 run increments for every wicket lost) and declare.
Also by scrapping the draw and playing result (one-day) cricket I do not think there is another league in the world that by declaring you would forfeit your remaining overs to the opposition.
In short it is xx number of overs per side. How you choose to use them is entirely up to you. If the opposition miss out on points due to an early declaration then the opposition only have themselves to blame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: