Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum
The forum of the Aberdeenshire Cricket Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  RSS 

Rule Changes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> It's the Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Grizzly Bore
Late cut
Late cut

Cricket Club: THE BONS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! Paulie, I AM one of those dudes wot needs to get home early or the wife will give me what for (and NOT in a good way).

Of course, I wouldn't want the draw but it seems that a small majority of those club officials that vote at meetings, want to keep on to the draw to the bitter end.

So keep the draw, I don't give a monkeys, we don't have a youth policy.
user50
Forward defensive
Forward defensive

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a relative newcomer to Cricket, the draw does my head in. It should be a straight whoever gets more runs wins scenario. Apart from anything else, it SHOULD encourage teams to go for runs and make a more interesting match, rather than blocking their way to not get out and scrape a draw. Twice this season we've had "winning" draws and received less points than the other team. How on earth is that a fair system (and yes, I am a little bitter Laughing )? Granted, our problem seems to be that we suck at taking wickets, but surely cricket is about knocking the ball around, scoring runs and, if the bowler/fielding is good enough, getting that vital wicket to spur you on. Dropping the draw should encourage a much more entertaing attacking game, IMHO.
paul
Square cut
Square cut

Cricket Club: Cults/Whitfords

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair do's, have always understood this point but as Im not involved and the other side of the planet from you all, who gives.

My thought is with a draw you are calling upon the skills of the bowler to get the last few wickets out in the alloted time along with tactical field settings to also get the batsman out. This was one area that I always notice lacked in other sides when they tried getting the last few wickets out. It was either always too late in their decisions to set an attacking field or never at all.

By also having the draw, when in circumstances the game is not possible to win, then a different batting skill has to be deployed, ie defending your wicket. This as a lot of you know can be far more difficult than howking a ball in blind hope that you hit it for runs.

Oh well roll on the season down here where there are games that last two innings over two days - god how the lot of you would hate that, I mean actually having to play cricket, chuckle!!! Laughing
slip catcher
Cover drive
Cover drive

Cricket Club: Anchorians

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I agree on the bit about having to be able to bowl the opposition out and thinking through your attack etc but the bad bit about the draw as we have it is that only one team can go for it - the team batting second - win the toss twice against one opposition in a season and they never have the chance against you.

We had a draw Saturday which only really became apparent last five overs so it was not ground out as such.
gilly
Reverse sweep
Reverse sweep

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay your fees Upjohn
kato
Forward defensive
Forward defensive

Cricket Club: Portcullis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, the draw is fine in certain situations but not in others.
For example, with two evenly matched teams, I agree with the pro-draw lobby- it can be very entertaining, and having to bowl the other team out second is a game of skill and nerve.
However, a team which really would get more enjoyment playing a grade below their current one should not attempt to desperately block out the last 20 overs of matches, just in order to stay up. This provides no enjoyment for anyone, and any youngsters playing will rapidly lose interest. In my experience in the lower echelons of the grades, the latter situation is played out on a far more frequent basis than the former- so why not make it 45 overs a side, most runs wins? Then at least if you are going to get humped, everyone can have a go and have some fun with it?
The Grizzly Bore
Late cut
Late cut

Cricket Club: THE BONS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why get rid of the draw? Most Grades cricketers are over 40 and grew up with it. OK youngsters might wonder whatís going on at times, but they arenít really interested in playing Grades cricket anyway, and they soon give up to play with their XBoxes. And thatís good for us oldies. We can keep plodding away for many many more years.

Now that the council are threatening a grey squirrel cull (donít forget seagulls, people), I think it might be time for The grades to seriously consider something similar (to deal with potential young cricketers) by pro-actively encouraging the draw.

Also, the draw makes The Grades a unique competition amongst its peers and when it finally folds, it will be remembered fondly for those long 2nd innings of old geezers bravely defending their stumps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> It's the Law All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: