Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum
The forum of the Aberdeenshire Cricket Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  RSS 

bowling restrictions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim ironside
Chinese cut
Chinese cut

Cricket Club: formely turriff cricket club

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: bowling restrictions Reply with quote

This is a question which i was asked the other week and thought someone out there could give me the correct answer.

"if a team has 3 bowlers who have bowled there 12 overs each, the bowling team then announce they have nobody left who can bowl?"

what is the rule as the game would come to a grinding stop.
user50
Forward defensive
Forward defensive

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: bowling restrictions Reply with quote

jim wrote:
This is a question which i was asked the other week and thought someone out there could give me the correct answer.

"if a team has 3 bowlers who have bowled there 12 overs each, the bowling team then announce they have nobody left who can bowl?"

what is the rule as the game would come to a grinding stop.

I would imagine that, firstly, they'd look stupid for only having 3 people who can bowl and secondly, they'd just have to get on with it and use some of the other 8 members of the team and, more than likely, lose shed loads of runs. There are 11 people on the team - just cos they suck at it doesn't mean they can't bowl at all.
jim ironside
Chinese cut
Chinese cut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this does not explain the rule, i asked what is the rule if any of the other 8 refuse to bowl.

Also what happens if none of the other team members can bowl a legal delivery or all happen to have sore shoulders.
Art
Late cut
Late cut

Cricket Club: artisans

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim there's no rule in cricket to legislate for not having someone who can turn their arm over.

If they couldn't bowl one legal delivery then wides and no-balls would tot up and would no doubt lead to a declaration after the 36 legal overs.

If your team outright refused to bowl they would be conceding the match.
kato
Forward defensive
Forward defensive

Cricket Club: Portcullis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there been a knees-up that I don't know about? Surely every lower grade team has been in a position where they don't have any 'recognised' bowlers? We have certainly played games with only 2 bowlers, and have made up the rest with other players. Otherwise we would have had to concede the match as we are effectively refusing to play the fixture.
Art
Late cut
Late cut

Cricket Club: artisans

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Surely every lower grade team has been in a position where they don't have any 'recognised' bowlers

“Lower” in relation to what? The County Championship?

We’ve played some Grade 1 games where it’s been a part-time dibbler opening the bowling fae one, sorry both, ends Laughing
jim ironside
Chinese cut
Chinese cut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a rule, but it is for limited overs cricket.

ie. 50 over match - requires a minimum of 5 bowlers each bowling a maximum of 10 overs.

grade cricket bowlers are restricted to a maximum of 12 overs each.

you are not getting the point, grade rules do not stipulate you require to use more than 3 bowlers it only states that the team batting first can only bat 46 over and the 12 over restriction on bowlers.

i agree if a team refused to bowl on they would lose under protest (but only after management committee had changed the rules)this is why the rules once again require to be changed so as a bowling side know exactly what is expected of them - minimum of 4 bowlers bowling a maximum of 10 overs in a clear 40 over per side game.

Now see the point i am trying to make Very Happy .
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An itneresting question. I don't know the answer, but I am reminded of an account of match between Great Smugness and Middle Tweeness in the Minor Villages Cup played, if I recall correctly, in the late 1950s.

Owing to the untimely death of the team's carrier pigeon the previous week, Middle Tweeness's team selection was rather poorly communicated, with the result that they found that they had picked a team that was comprised entirely of wicket keepers. Middle Tweeness lost the toss and were asked to bowl, whereupon there was a 30 minute delay while they fought over the only pair of keepers pads. Jack "Stabber" Barnes was victorious and took his place behind the stumps while the remaining 10 players milled around behind him wearing an assortment of batting pads, cushions held on with bailer twine and old scorebooks. The Great Smugness openers came out to bat and, after a futile 23 minutes spent waiting for the first delivery, took the courageous decision to declare on 0-0.

After a very fine tea prepared by the ladies of the village, Great Smugness took the field and patiently waited for the Middle Tweeness openers to take the crease. Unbeknown to them, the entire Middle Tweeness team were in the changing room throwing batting gloves at each other and saying "No - you go first". After 10 minutes the umpires reluctantly declared the openers "timed out", and this continued every subsequent three minutes (according to law 31) until 9 wickets had "fallen". At this point all 11 of the Middle Tweeness team sprinted on to the pitch and proceeded to engage in a prolonged bout of pushing and shoving as they all attempted to simultaneously take a leg stump guard. After a couple of minutes of this, Mick "Mick" Carver momentarily lost his footing and stumbled onto the stumps. He was instantly given out hit wicket and was then pursued from the field of play at great pace by his ten team mates.

The Middle Tweeness innings ended on all out for 0, and the match was declared a tie.
jim ironside
Chinese cut
Chinese cut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what happened in the replay?
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle Tweeness bowled out Great Smugness for 84, but at tea produced a plate of cucumber sandwiches that did not have the crusts cut off. On appeal they were adjudged to have provided unsatisfactory refreshments and forfeited the match.

A lesson there for us all, I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: