Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum
The forum of the Aberdeenshire Cricket Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  RSS 

Cricket Club Websites
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cricket Club: Portcullis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Cricket Club Websites Reply with quote

As anyone who has ever tried to do it knows - keeping track of cricket club websites is a task akin to trying to nail jelly to a tree. They come, they go, they move around without telling you - it's hard.

There are a few notably solid sites, but there are others that seem to have have the life span of a fruit fly. So - please have a look at the links page on acagrades.org and tell us if there are any omissions or mistakes. Does your club have a site that isn't mentioned? Does the link point to an old site? Tell us about it here.
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: New website for Queens Cross Reply with quote

Queen's Cross have got a brand new website at http://www.qxcc.co.uk/. It's still in its infancy, but it has all the right bits in place.

According to Mal Speagell, "the maroon [colour scheme] is because of club colours, not because it looks good".

So all you website editors out there - make sure your links section is up-to-date.
teuchter
Chinese cut
Chinese cut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the artisans website?
paul
Square cut
Square cut

Cricket Club: Cults/Whitfords

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QUEENS X will be a good site as time goes on, ie when it fills up. totally biased but the new Cults CC one is very good, even if you all hate us so much
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
QUEENS X will be a good site as time goes on, ie when it fills up. totally biased but the new Cults CC one is very good, even if you all hate us so much

I'm interested to see how the QX site develops too. You're right - it's a promising start, but the most important thing with any web site is the content. Keeping it going from week to week and season to season is the real challenge.

As for cultscricketclub.co.uk - I'm not a big fan of Flash animations myself, and using Flash for a menu without providing an alternative is generally considered to be a bad thing because it makes navigation impossible for people who don't have/don't want flash installed. It would be better if there were a plain html version of the menu as well which would display if Flash is not available.

Flash menus also cause problems for search engines like Google. When they are indexing a site, well behaved search engines only follow html links . They do not understand Flash, so if the only way in to the site is via Flash splash screen and then a Flash menu, search engines are effectively barred from the site. Using frames only makes it worse, because any page that a search engine does find will be presented as a link to the frame page rather than the top level frameset. This means that anyone finding the site through a search engine is not going to see the menu at all.

And finally - it doesn't display properly using Firefox because Firefox doesn't find the stylesheet. The url for the stylesheet should use a forward slash - i.e.
Code:
<LINK REL="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="CSS/standard.css">

Appart from that, though, it's a good effort. Sort out the flash, frameset and cross browser compatability issues and keep the content fresh and interesting and it'll be a real contender. At least it isn't yet another play-cricket site Wink.

Sorry - this sounds a bit like a hatchet job doesn't it? That's not my intention - I'm trying to offer some advice on how to make the site a bit better. Drop me an email or post here if I there's anything else I can do to help.
z
Cover drive
Cover drive

Cricket Club: CCC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mr Purple,

Thanks for the feedback (removes hatchet form back of napper).

The Cults website was built pretty much built by hand, and as such was designed with only Internet Explorer in mind.

I will not be losing the Flash Intro right now, but I may revisit the flash menu although I'm pretty sure most users have flash enabled browsers these days. Do you have any recomendations of free HTML menu building applications?

I did not want to use Frames particularly (as I know they are frowned upon by web gurus), but not being an expert in the field it was the simplest / neatest way I could build the site with the knowledge I had at the outset.

With regard to the Firefox compatibilty issues, it turned out that obviously IE is much more forgiving than Firefox and I have since changed around 2000 back slashes to forward slashes Shocked , so I think the site is pretty much operational with Firefox now. It does not look as good because Firefox is unable to interpret the 'Gradient' command, but other than that I think everthing is OK. Let me know if you identify any other problems.

I should add that while every effort is made to keep the site up to date, the site is probably the most comprehensive record in terms of history and former player averages etc go back as far the 1930's. To my knowledge the Cults website is the only one which has individual career records for 100's of former players.

Thanks again for your comments.

Z
Art
Late cut
Late cut

Cricket Club: artisans

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teuchter wrote:
What happened to the artisans website?

Our resident webmaster promises that the Artos website will be back soon. It looks set to take it's customary sideways glance and irreverent look at cricket, peacocks, trains, teas, HD Bird esq and life in general. And with that, I will wish you all the best for the season.
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've missed a few "\"s I'm afraid. top%20corner.html, logo%20bar%20main.html and menu%20bar.html still look a bit wonky in Firefox. You'll need to fix the paths for the image files as well as the css files.

I write all my web sites by hand too - the only editor I have is Textpad - so you're not alone in that. I find I can produce much cleaner HTML than all the wysiwyg editors, and http://validator.w3.org/ is invaluable for finding the mistakes, unclosed tags, etc, that inevitably find their way in.

If you're determined to keep the splash screen, why not put the "Skip Intro" link in plain html rather than embedded in the splash animation? That way people who don't have flash installed and people with 56K dialup connections who don't want to wait while your uncached animation downloads can still get into your site. Ideally, add a "Non-Flash Version" link too, that takes people to a page with a simple HTML menu.

You're right that Firefox doesn't support gradient fill. I think it might be more correct to say that MSIE is the only browser that does support it, because it's a Microsoft specific thing that is not part of the official spec' Rolling Eyes. Fortunately, you can create a similar effect without straying outside the spec' by using a background image instead. That's how the subtle gradients are done in the menu headers on the front page of acagrades.org and also on this forum. e.g.

A very tall and thin gradient image - perhaps 1x1000 - can be used to do a whole page.

As for doing without frames and creating HTML menus - I see you've got php on your server, so that offers a good way forward if you're up for a small amount of coding. This forum is perhaps not the best place to start to try and explain that though... I'll see if I can find a few links to point you in the right direction.

Hope that helps. If there's anything else I can do please let me know either here or by email. Likewise - if you see anything wonky on acagrades.org, please don't hesitate to point it out.

PS - Good news about the Arto's site. I'll look forward to being baffled by it in the near future.
user11
On drive
On drive

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Artos website Reply with quote

Glad to hear our webmaster has the time to reinstate the site,new concepts being formulated as we speak. Twisted Evil
z
Cover drive
Cover drive

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Purple,

With regard to the outstanding issues around the backslashes, are you sure that if you refresh the pages in question with F5 the issue does not resolve itself.

It seems to be working fine in Firefox for me now.

Cheers

Z
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z wrote:
Mr Purple,
With regard to the outstanding issues around the backslashes, are you sure that if you refresh the pages in question with F5 the issue does not resolve itself.

Right enough - that seems to have fixed it.

Our work ISP has an irritating habit of caching pages so even after pressing f5 to clear your local cache you still get the old page off the proxy. Sad (Not my fault guv'. Honest)
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few menu tools at http://www.chipchapin.com/WebTools/MenuTools/ that you might find useful. Some are just JavaScript/DHTML, and others use PHP to generate either static HTML or DHTML. Hope this helps.

I'll try to knock up a quick demo to show how to use PHP to generate frame free html later on today.

Last edited by MrPurple on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: using php to avoid frames Reply with quote

Here's a (very quick and dirty) example of how to use PHP to create web pages with the common "banner/nav bar/footer" layout. You can see it working at http://www.acagrades.org.uk/noframes/. At first glance, it looks like several pages that duplicate all the common "boilerplate" features (header, footer, etc) and just have different content. This would be very labour intensive to maintain, as every time you changed something in the page header, for instance, you'd have to edit every single file. Clearly that is not sustainable for more than a few pages.

However, what is actually happening is slightly more sophisticated. Each of the pages actually look like this;

<?php
include 'boilerplate.php';

writeHeader();
?>
Page 1 content goes here
<?php
writeFooter();
?>

Each page contains a small snip of code at the start to include a php file that defines functions that write the page header/menu and footer. The content then goes in the file in between calls to writeHeader() and writeFooter().

To change the page layout or menu, you just have to edit one file (boilerplate.php). To add a new page, you just create a new file with the same format as shown above.

And that's it.

The advantage of this is that each page has its own URL so your users can go directly to the page they want rather than alway having to come through the front page menu. Also, if they come in through a search engine link, they still see the full menu and banner instead of something like this.

Of course the example is far from complete. You'd probably want to make the menu more sophisticated and paramaterise writeHeader() so you could define (e.g.) individual page titles, but I've deliberately kept it short and simple so you can see how it works without getting bogged down in fiddly stuff.

All the source code for the example is zipped up and available from here.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything I can explain more clearly.

Last edited by MrPurple on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
z
Cover drive
Cover drive

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks,

I will do a bit of research when I get time, and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Z
gilly
Reverse sweep
Reverse sweep

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z................ enough of this techno guru nonsense, get yer aris doon tae nets instead of conducting a fondling session with the deliquent Purple man!!! Ma een r sair reading it ahh, also need a laugh at yer new pads!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: