Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum
The forum of the Aberdeenshire Cricket Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  RSS 

Transparency of Player Elegibility
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> It's the Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anchorman
Chinese cut
Chinese cut

Cricket Club: Anchorians CC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Transparency of Player Elegibility Reply with quote

You may now have read that Anchorians have been deducted 16 Points for fielding an elegible (unregistered) player.

As a memeber of Anchorians i am dissapointed that this oversight has cost us 16 points, but the mistake was made and we take the penalty on the chin.

I am sure and would probaly go as far as saying I would bet my house on it that Anchorians have not been the only team this year that have fielded an unregistered player? you all know who you are!

As the Grades is in practice a self policing association, we all have to play our part Umpiring fairly, declaring the ball has gone for 4 etc when it just crossess the line and i could go on.

Would it therefore not be prudent that player registrations were made public?

i.e. Each teams registered players are made feely available, perhaps on this website, an excel download etc?

At least this way we would all clearly know who has and has not been registered. if we do not know who is registered we are all relying on the Association to pick up on unregistered names for those who have excelled Batting or Bowling and get the their name in the paper. what about the fielder who has taken 4 catches and run 3 men out? the Wicketkeeper who has taken 4 stumpings?..no names are mentioned here .All of these people have influenced the outcomes of a game. Take my point?

Whats your thoughts?

Anchorman
gilly
Reverse sweep
Reverse sweep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent points Anchorman and I am sure your house bet is probably safe but the Data Protection Act stops the Association from publishing the list to the public. Only David Jones has the full list. It really is up to the Clubs to ensure that all players are registered and to be honest about it. I know last season I phoned David myself to register a player minutes before the start of a game and then it was followed up by an e-mail afterwards. I also sympathise with your deduction as we have a great relationship with you guys.
Greeny
Cover drive
Cover drive

Cricket Club: Ellon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't have to be the full list, just the names.
gilly
Reverse sweep
Reverse sweep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correctme if I am wrong but I seem to remember that in the Small Clubs Cup team sheets had to be handed over to the opposing captain, would this help?
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cricket Club: Portcullis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a register would be a good idea, and if it were just the player names then I don't see any serious privacy issues. There seems to be little shyness involved when it comes to making sure batting and bowling feats are publicly credited on the web site... Rolling Eyes

In any case, it'd be relatively easy to publish the list on a password protected part of the site so it would only be available to (say) club secretaries.

The one caveat is that it wouldn't necessarily help that much. Notwithstanding transfers and triallists, a player may only represent one club in a season but can be registered for as many clubs as they like.
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gilly wrote:
Correctme if I am wrong but I seem to remember that in the Small Clubs Cup team sheets had to be handed over to the opposing captain, would this help?

Good point. Strictly speaking, this is supposed to happen in grades matches too. (See rule 17.e.)
Big Bad
Reverse sweep
Reverse sweep

Cricket Club: ABERDEENSHIRE ASSOCIATION OF CRICKET OFFICIALS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harping back to the hockey system I mentioned last season...

Pre match in hockey each team fills in a team sheet...

Result added and captains of both sign at end of match...

Home captain sends to the league secretary...

Perhaps same could be introduced for ACA???
"Whenever we ask a player whether they would like to give umpiring a go, the vast majority of them would say, 'Why in the world would I do that? You've got to be joking. I could not stand in the sun for six to seven hours and do what you guys do.'
Art
Late cut
Late cut

Cricket Club: artisans

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of things.

What’s the theory behind allowing registration for multiple clubs? Seeing as you can only play for one, doesn’t seem entirely logical. Would make policing easier if you could only be registered for one.

Another related benefit of publishing lists - a couple of seasons ago Artisans, after hunting around and eventually getting our eleventh man at 1100 Saturday, fielded a player who we believed was a free-agent. After the match it transpired that he hadn’t been truthful when we’d checked with him and that he had actually been playing for another club that season. Making registration lists transparent would’ve obviously given us the ability to check that out for ourselves.

Oh, and to help allay privacy concerns – This list wouldn’t even need to include the names - “Bloke with golf shoes”, “Navy trackie bottoms”, “Disna take a guard”, “Left-armer, chucks it”, “Smokes Mayfairs”
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art wrote:
What’s the theory behind allowing registration for multiple clubs? Seeing as you can only play for one, doesn’t seem entirely logical. Would make policing easier if you could only be registered for one.

I don't think there is any particular logic for it being so. It's just the interpretation of the wording in the constitution that the Management Committee are using.
Big Bad
Reverse sweep
Reverse sweep

Cricket Club: ABERDEENSHIRE ASSOCIATION OF CRICKET OFFICIALS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art, I cant believe I am going to say this... I totally agree with you... Surprised

It totally doesn't make sense to be registered with numerous teams?? Surely you are registered for one club who you play for until you move away... stop playing or transfer to another club? Then your registration lapses or changes...

And as you say players not being truthful about their current or past playing status would be found out if registrations were public. This would save situations like our G4 side being punished for a players lack of honesty.
"Whenever we ask a player whether they would like to give umpiring a go, the vast majority of them would say, 'Why in the world would I do that? You've got to be joking. I could not stand in the sun for six to seven hours and do what you guys do.'
The Grizzly Bore
Late cut
Late cut

Cricket Club: THE BONS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: RESTRICTIONS Reply with quote

It's all getting a bit over the top, these restrictions. Will my club be deducted 16 points if my 3yo fields at fine leg as a sub for his old man getting treatment for his various ailments??? Just coz he ain't registered?

Some kid walking in the Duthie Park Saturday fancies a game? Sorry, junior, you ain't registered!!

Were amateurs at best, fat old wind evacuations clinging onto their youthful dreams of Sporting glory at worst...
Art
Late cut
Late cut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: RESTRICTIONS Reply with quote

The Grizzly Bore wrote:

Some kid walking in the Duthie Park Saturday fancies a game? Sorry, junior, you ain't registered!!

I get your point but a two minute call to DMJ and job done.
The Grizzly Bore
Late cut
Late cut

Cricket Club: THE BONS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, quick phone call, maybe. My point is, why the flip are we so Draconian about this at our level? Even in professional football, for example, you can play someone as a Trialist, without him having to be signed or registered or branded, fer Chrissakes! If he wants to continue playin', then you get him registered.

How did it come to be discovered that the Anchorians bloke WASN'T registered anyway?? Sherlock Gilly get his magnifying glass oot??
Art
Late cut
Late cut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How did it come to be discovered that the Anchorians bloke WASN'T registered anyway?? Sherlock Gilly get his magnifying glass oot??

Wondered when that would come up. Rolling Eyes

Nothing to do with us though. The Association saw the lad’s name in the paper, checked out the Anchors forms, he wasn’t on it. Boff.

How would we know if he was or wasn't registered anyway? That's kinda the point of the whole thread, ain't it.
apocalypse
Cover drive
Cover drive

Cricket Club: St Ronald 2nds

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the secretary has a magical orb that turns green every time an unregistered player is fielded by a team. Was given to him by a sorcerer when he traveled across the Nile on foot last year. This might not be true but is no higher on the 'boloney' quotient than other posts. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> It's the Law All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: