Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum
The forum of the Aberdeenshire Cricket Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  RSS 

Overseas "Amatuers/Pros"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
castle parker
On drive
On drive

Cricket Club: kintore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Overseas "Amatuers/Pros" Reply with quote

Does anyone have a view on Cults new "overseas amatuers/pros" should all clubs consider taking players in from overseas, is this fair, is it simply a short term fix, Strahmore Union anyone???

If I have any of this wrong by the way please feel free to put me straight.

Thoughts anyone.
paul
Square cut
Square cut

Cricket Club: Cults/Whitfords

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sitting so far away from things and obviously interested to see how my old team are getting on week in week out, I asked the question about who the two new players, I believe you are speaking about Tatsat adn Deep, and where they came from.

The truth being is that they are in Aberdeen off their own backs and Cults CC have in no way made any or looked to offer any kind of payments in any manner whatsoever.

Many years ago when Cults CC thought about moving to the Strathmore league, a decision that obviously did not happen, the possibility of employing a professional was discussed. The decision made was that Cults is an amateur side that have always played in the grades for the benefit of amateur players that wish to play for the club and thats how it would remain.

In my playing time I encountered many an overseas amateur that played against us particularly from either stoneywood dyce or mannofield as they had such players playing for them in the strathmore union.

The most ironic one that I recall was the overseas amateur that was playing for inverurie when they were starthmore until he fell out with them. The next week he was playing for Kintore against us and took three wickets and a number of runs in a low scoring cup game that yes we were 2nd in!

Another example must be Fazal at Bon Accord, decent bloke and clearly a very good player that has played at a higher level than most grade players but I believe has not been regularly living in Aberdeen - do you include him as an overseas amateur as well?

Does a club who enjoys the benefit of an overseas traveller who settles in Aberdeen for a summer get labelled as employing an overseas player? Where do you draw the line?

As the grades have no rules about anybody from overseas playing for any club as an amateur then these questions will always arise when you are especially on the losing end of matters, eg the above paragraph.

What do you do to counteract such things? I do not know the answer as there aint any rules out there that I am aware of that would counteract such shenanigans.

Going back to the question in particular about the two indians that play for Cults, well why were or are the rest of the Indian guys that play for both the 1sts and 2nds of Cults not questioned as being an overseas pro?

What I will leave you with is that the above is all my own words and am happy to discuss (as you have seen before on this forum) and they have nothing to do with Cults CC.

Oh and by the way, please feel free to boldly express who you actually are rather than hiding behind a characters name.
The Grizzly Bore
Late cut
Late cut

Cricket Club: THE BONS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit, I've been having a wee bit o' fun at Cults expense regarding all this talk about pros and overseas amateurs. As Paul mentions Fazal, Kintore's concerns about the Cults guys reminds me of the [deleted] that was spoken about Fazal, mainly by Cults, that he was a pro etc, etc. So it's amusing to see the boot on the other hoof.

Fazal came here in 1998, sent by his father to learn English. He actually hadn't played much at a higher level and only did so as a result of playing for the Bons, when we allowed him to play for the Shire (he was too good for us). That didn't pan oot so he's back with us.
That's 8 seasons he's been here. That's a lot o' wages for a small club like us to pay every year. Then there's the additional expenses for his hookers....

It'll be interesting to see if the Cults "pros" give the Grades as much service.... but Deep and Tatsat aren't paid to play cricket, dinna be ridiculous, lads.

Oh! Deep, by the way, lighten up! It's only a game!
paul
Square cut
Square cut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree there was "deleted" spoken when Fazal appeared on the scene and even the the "deleted" was spoken its the same answer in the end as obviously Cults have now as you had then. I cant recall not playing against BA because Fazal was playing and just got on with it, having a greater challenge than what was in front of us before.

Only time will tell if Deep and Tatsat become grades stalwarts like Fazal has or if they drift away as quick as they came, like many others have in the past.

happy days. by the way I think we should have a competition to guess the deleted words that are used on this whiter than white forum.
The Grizzly Bore
Late cut
Late cut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My deleted word was an anagram of carp. I mean you can't say carp on this forum. What are we? Presbertareanens, presbyterieans, we free?
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cricket Club: Portcullis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presbyterians is an anagram of Britney Spears.
paul
Square cut
Square cut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish and britney, what a combination!!
gilly
Reverse sweep
Reverse sweep

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont even go there uppers!!! i am still trying to recover from the sight of your mackeral paste sandwiches which nobody ate when u lived in norway. i suppose now your over in oz it'll be kangeroopoo........ plus you can be the overseas pro for the kinsley cc who you have chosen to join simply because they have their own bar and are close to home!!!
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portcullis is currently turning out players from Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India, Australia and even England (possibly another couple of place too - I'm not quite sure). In the recent past we have also had South African, Zimbabwean, American and Italian players. Strictly speaking they'd all be overseas amateurs (perhaps not the English, but you get the point I'm sure), but to question whether should be playing is just ludicrous.

The oil industry and the university bring people to Aberdeen from all over the world, and I don't think there is any problem with them playing cricket while they are here. In fact I think it's something that is a credit to the sport and we should be proud of it.

Last edited by MrPurple on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
castle parker
On drive
On drive

Cricket Club: kintore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul well heres me boldly expressing who I am PHIL

Hope Aus is treating you well.

Mr Purple you have missed the point but ho hum.

Easy to get a reaction on these sort of topics!
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the point then?
paul
Square cut
Square cut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Phil, yes aus is good so far but after my first net for the season I am stiff and sore, so just the norm really!! Cant wait to add sunburn to the above in a few months time along with dehydration - should be great fun.

I understand your point Phil and you have seen my response, end of.
The Grizzly Bore
Late cut
Late cut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Grades clubs, we're here to provide an outlet for anyone who wants to play cricket in the city. The players we've been talking about here are all Grades players, playing Grades cricket, and for one reason only. To play cricket.

I don't care if they're just "passing thru'". I don't feel I have the right to be part of restricting or preventing altogether, anyone's right to play a bit of recreational sport, which is what Grades cricket is, even if we all get a bit carried away sometimes, and think it's something more than that.

Before anyone else raises the issue, the situation, a few years back, with Grant Dugmore of Stoneywood Dyce, who probably was paid by that club, (please, PLEASE correct me, otherwise) was a little different, I suppose, but he played in every Grades match, giving every other Grades club the same level to play up to, and his professional duties would have been restricted to coaching youngsters. Playing Grades cricket was just for fun and (I believe) the only cricket available to him at the time because of rules restrictions preventing him playing Strathie.

I think there's already too many rules in Grades cricket that are restrictive and in a climate where some clubs are really struggling for numbers we should be encouraging anyone who wants to play, regardless of how good they are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: