Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum
The forum of the Aberdeenshire Cricket Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  RSS 

Disgrace
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
user11
On drive
On drive

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Disgrace Reply with quote

Apologies if this is less than diplomatic but i'm fuming at just being informed that Stoney Dyce have scratched.

After 11am on a Saturday simply isn't acceptable.I can't get hold of one of our players who is already on route from quite a distance to tell him it's off.His kids are up from Glasgow for the weekend and he'll now waste about 3-4 hours of valuable family time.

Another player's wife who i've just informed is also fuming had cancelled a kids party so her husband could play cricket.

I would have followed the Dons to Easter Road.

Stoney Dyce have shown astonishing arrogance and a total lack of respect.Surely they knew last night that they didn't have a team.

Their contact phoned our match secretary at 1100hrs to inform that they knew at 0900 today but forgot to phone us.

I'll be encouraging our club to formally complain about this unacceptable behaviour from a club who should know better.

Sad

Last edited by user11 on Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
user11
On drive
On drive

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS the clock on here is an hour early. Mad
Art
Late cut
Late cut

Cricket Club: artisans

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I draw the attention of the board to ACA Grades Constitution, section 15, subsection 3:

*(3) Any Club scratching a fixture must do so and both teams must inform the Association Secretary by 7.00p.m. the night before at the very latest. Any Club failing to comply shall incur a 10 point penalty.

* Failure to abide by these rules may be taken by the Management Committee as evidence of failing to fulfill a fixture “without reasonable cause” in the event of a protest. Provision has been made for publication of additional contacts in the Association Handbook for this purpose.

So waiting until less than 2 hours before the game starts - to see what the weather is like - is not on. And the above passage appears to have been written with this sort of stunt in mind.

Funy though eh - Stoney-Dyce, a self-proclaimed "a go ahead Club" (according to their website), and they can't raise a team. I would have thought the "Stauanies" would have had players clambering over each other to get a game for such a Go-Ahead XI......
gilly
Reverse sweep
Reverse sweep

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am astonished that they scratched and am sitting by the phone with bated breath wondering if they will scratch the Strathmore Cup (oops sorry) Bon Accord Cup match tomorrow. BTW Art, there was a really old guy on a motorbike at Kintore this afternoon who looked just the ticket wi his EAR neons ear plugs - leather is in FFS, prolly fantasises about Aerial square 4's!!! F'like John? - promotion odds on?
user50
Forward defensive
Forward defensive

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gilly wrote:
I am astonished that they scratched and am sitting by the phone with bated breath wondering if they will scratch the Strathmore Cup (oops sorry) Bon Accord Cup match tomorrow. BTW Art, there was a really old guy on a motorbike at Kintore this afternoon who looked just the ticket wi his EAR neons ear plugs - leather is in FFS, prolly fantasises about Aerial square 4's!!! F'like John? - promotion odds on?

"Astonished"? It's the 3rd consecutive game the've scratched, so where's the shock here? Did ye nae hae an inklin' fae previous weeks? But yer point is valid to be fair. Is there a rule aboot consecutive scratches/nae turnin' up?
paul
Square cut
Square cut

Cricket Club: Cults/Whitfords

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is the rule, just have to make sure its imposed. Sounds like Stoney have player shortage problems. Didnt they have 4 teams only a matter of seasons ago? Now it looks like they can get two teams and perhaps a grade team out sometimes. What be happening there then?? Are they still talking about moving to a new ground etc.

I remember the infamous newspaper article about how they had been awarded a lottery grant of 300K plus to build new clubhouse/changing rooms etc. Admittedly they did build a ne changing room at Peoples Park but if it cost 300K then I think the builder had a good day.

Does the paper mill still own Peoples park or has it or will it beowned by the airport. There is tak I hear that they want to extend the runway after all.
user11
On drive
On drive

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nae sure but was Gilly maybe being a tad sarcastic wi the "astonished" business?

Artos wouldn't have been surprised if Stoney Dyce scratched but it was the manner in which they did so.

It should have been done on Fri Evening.

I do think there is some truth in Art isan's suggestion that they were probably waiting to see what happened with the weather,meanwhile causing some of our boys massive inconvenience.Pure arrogance. Mad
gilly
Reverse sweep
Reverse sweep

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moi? Sarcastic? Perish the thought!
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cricket Club: Portcullis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be part of a pattern of behaviour. I heard that their scratching to Crescent a fortnight ago was only communicated on the Saturday morning as well.

With no apparent mitigating circumstance (i.e. entire team abducted by aliens), it does seem quite poor.

Sudkurve wrote:
PS the clock on here is an hour early. Mad

You've got your profile set to GMT. You need to change it to GMT+1 to get BST.
crescentboy
Forward defensive
Forward defensive

Cricket Club: Crescent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Crescent/Stoneywood game was indeed cancelled about 10.00 on the Saturday morning. I think everyone was prepared to believe that was a one-off, and someone forgot to phone till the Saturday morning.

To do it twice shows a lack of consideration for the opposition and the grades. Perhaps Stoneywood need to be a bit more imaginative in looking for players, like most of the other Aberdeen teams, who don't have hundreds of players knocking on their door, or facilities of their own to attract juniors.

I certainly don't want Stoneywood to withdraw from the grades, as it's important for the national league teams to be represented in their local competition.
MrPurple
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cricket Club: Portcullis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another irksome thing about this late scratching is that there was a Duthie Park pitch unused on Saturday while Caley v. Crathie was taking place up at Sheddocksley. With a bit more forethought that could easily have been avoided.

I'm not aware of the 10 point penalty for a late scratching ever being applied. In this instance I suspect it will make little difference anyway, as SDCC's grade position can hardly get any worse.

Perhaps more significantly, if they do not play at least 2 of the remaining 4 fixtures, they will not have played enough games in the season and all of their results will be void - this could potentially have an effect on the finely balanced positions at the top of the grade as all those with a win or a w/o against SDCC will suddenly find themsleves losing 30 pts.
gilly
Reverse sweep
Reverse sweep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDCC have quite a large junior section and I think that if we were in their situation we would find it prudent to give more of our juniors a game - OK they may not pick up too many points but at least a few points would be better than the zero they get for scratching and it may act as an incentive for more juniors to play. Kemnay played a few juniors against us this season and you just have to make small allowance like keeping the bowling pitched up too them. Other than that, they can make a contribution as good as anyone. Weve played 2 juniors in most of our games this season and you can see how enthuiastic they become.
JuniorMcBrine
Play and miss
Play and miss

Cricket Club: Anchorians

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Scratching around for players Reply with quote

Quote:
Mr P wrote:

I'm not aware of the 10 point penalty for a late scratching ever being applied. In this instance I suspect it will make little difference anyway, as SDCC's grade position can hardly get any worse.

You're right, but it rather depends on where you sit in the table as it currently stands, and whom SDCC find to put out in their remaining games.

Quote:
Perhaps more significantly, if they do not play at least 2 of the remaining 4 fixtures, they will not have played enough games in the season and all of their results will be void - this could potentially have an effect on the finely balanced positions at the top of the grade as all those with a win or a w/o against SDCC will suddenly find themsleves losing 30 pts.

It's also quite finely balanced here at the bottom...
user46
Forward defensive
Forward defensive

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Scratching at a higher level Reply with quote

Aye boys us numpty cricketers in the lower have had late and oft scratchings by clubs as a problem for years . Used to be that other wee club at Mannofield that used to cause problems. Funny how it becomes an concern when its a G2 side involved

I can assure you that the 10 point rule has been usedf and will be used if there is a formal notification to DJ of the time of scratching (often people moan on chat rooms but not to the correct people!) .

PCC also got a rule imposed ,which is still extant ,that if a team scratches more tha "X" fixtures in a season IT HAS TO APPLY FOR RE-ELECTION so there is an ultimate sanction .

The scratchers used to say you should not kick a team out as it is not in the best interest of cricket to stop people playing however neither is depriving 11 guys of the chance of a game AND the time to think up an excuse to avoid saturday shopping
gilly
Reverse sweep
Reverse sweep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think its just because its a G2 side involved that this concern has arisen, it's just because there is now a reasonably sensible vehicle (this forum) for discussion where before there was much muttering and nothing done before. Anyway I agree that there should be sanctions but it depends on the relationships between Clubs as well, genuine scratching dont generally cause too many issues but "lets see the waether" scratchings should be stamped out. Anyway Captain, SDCC look to be heading your way again so I will enjoy your comments next season, provided of course that you dont pass them on the way up!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> The Club House All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: