Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum
The forum of the Aberdeenshire Cricket Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  RSS 

Wides..again..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> It's the Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Scorer
Chinese cut
Chinese cut

Cricket Club: Portcullis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Wides..again.. Reply with quote

My team have thus far bowled 70 wides this season up until this weekend at an average of 11.6 per game. In this weekends game against KR 2nds we conceded 47 a full third of the total required. As our bowling line up was largely unchanged this was somewhat surprising. Is anyone aware of rule changes to the wide law recently? A strict leg side ruling perhaps? Question
puller
Forward defensive
Forward defensive

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extras was the their top scorer last week against kkcc. They did wide a ball that just went over off stump too.
Raoul
Square cut
Square cut

Cricket Club: Portcullis CC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturdays game was without doubt the worst game I have ever played in and I've played in some real crackers. I will never play Knitghriders again.

It takes something "special" to make me hate cricket. Something has to be done.
umps
Chinese cut
Chinese cut

Cricket Club: umpires assoc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Wides Reply with quote

Wides in Grade cricket are as defined in Laws of Cricket, not special rules for competitions.Not the same as one day or 20/20 cricket. If we used those rules we would all be playing till 22.00 hrs & that is in Grade one lower Grades might be even later.
Le Chien
Cover drive
Cover drive

Cricket Club: Kemnay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Wides... Again! Reply with quote

Yeah.. Wides was the top scorer for them last week against us.. They scored 75 and I think they gave 21 wides - 1 delivery Jonny Holt sliced the boy in 2 and it went over the stumps through the gap between the batsmen and his bat..... Wide given?! We pumped them last week though so we all just laughed at thier attempt to score some runs... I of thier guys then had the cheek to question our umpiring after the game because they thought Gareth got an edge when he didn't and my dad didn't give a 'stone-wall LBW'...... Ironic much?

Methlick too scored about 75 this weekend against us and surpirise surprise I think only about 5 of them were wides haha,

It's ridiculous.
logieboy
Outside edge
Outside edge

Cricket Club: Dunecht

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: wides? Reply with quote

You may be wide of the mark but perhaps a request to "review " their score book could be a step forward. Since other teams give you wides a huge difference between teams would be evident
a) Which team gave the most wides and least LBW's last year?
b) Which team had least wides and most LBWs
Come on- a ten minute job which may surprise even yourown team.
Le Chien
Cover drive
Cover drive

Cricket Club: Kemnay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Wides... Again! Reply with quote

Haha aye here goes then...

We've lost 42 wickets - 7 of which we gave LBW - 51 wides we've signalled in 8 games.

We've taken 89 wickets - 8 of which were LBW - we have bowled 40 wides all season........... 19 of which were in the Knightriders game!! Lol
logieboy
Outside edge
Outside edge

Cricket Club: Dunecht

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: wides? Reply with quote

Thanks for prompt reply

Dunecht 2012
( 11 matches)
91 wickets taken- 5 LBWs they gave- 90 wides

66 wickets lost- 8 LBWs we gave - 86 wides signalled

No games near a third?!
Pubcat
Cover drive
Cover drive

Cricket Club: Stonehaven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple solution.....

When you paint the crease, paint an extra line at each end, anything outwith that line shall be deemed a wide ball. Agree with the opposition captain at the coin toss that the extra line is the cut off point for a wide ball and get him to convey it to the rest of the the guys who will be umpiring
Art
Late cut
Late cut

Cricket Club: artisans

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s what they do in the Strathie:

Wide Ball - Judging a Wide

Umpires are instructed to strictly apply this Law in order to prevent consistent negative bowling wide of the wicket.

(ii) Off-Side Wide – Premier Division (& Div 1) -If the ball passes outside the offside wide line as it crosses the bowling crease, then the Bowler’s End Umpire will call and signal ‘wide’. It does not matter if the batsman has moved across to cover the ball. Provided he makes no contact with the ball, such a delivery must be called ‘wide’.

Off-Side Wide – all other Divisions - If the ball passes outside the offside return crease line as it crosses the bowling crease, then the Bowler’s End Umpire will call and signal ‘wide’.

(iii)
Leg-Side Wide – Premier Division (& Div 1) - If the ball passes outside the leg stump and behind the striker and the striker makes no contact with it, then the Bowler’s End Umpire will call and signal ‘wide’. The only exception to this would be if the striker makes a pronounced move to the offside and the ball just misses the leg stump

Leg-Side Wide – in all other Divisions the following will apply for leg side wides

Any ball which passes outside the leg side wide line as it crosses the bowling crease, then the Bowler’s End Umpire will call and signal ‘wide’. It does not matter if the batsman has moved across to cover the ball. Provided he does not come in to contact with the ball, such a delivery must be called ‘wide’

APPENDIX F
Crease Markings - Additional Crease Markings
As a guideline to the umpires for the calling of wides on the offside the crease markings, are detailed below, and shall be marked in white at each end of the pitch. This applies to all League matches in the Premier League, Div 1, Div 2 North & South and any additional Divisions.

Greeny
Cover drive
Cover drive

Cricket Club: Ellon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art, if the council can't measure and mark a pitch at 22 yards both times we've been to Sheddocksley this year. What chance is there that we can get them to mark 4 extra lines properly?
Pubcat
Cover drive
Cover drive

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely a can of white paint and a brush can't be that expensive Greeny, about time home teams on council pitches took some initiative
Raoul
Square cut
Square cut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a law for wides which is perfectly fair. Why replace that with a different law if people aren't going to follow that either.

The current law isn't overly difficult, it just appears that some people don't know it. Or don't apply it correctly. Or choose to apply a different law that gives them 20-30 extra runs per innings.
Pubcat
Cover drive
Cover drive

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a definitive line painted on the crease (inside the line = not wide, outside the line = wide) then surely that would be better than leaving it up to the serving umpires perception of whether its a wide or not
Raoul
Square cut
Square cut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. It was outside the line so it's a wide.
"No it wisnae!"

It still causes arguments in the IPL where it is judged by the best umpires in the world.

Why should we change the Laws just because a couple of teams choose to ignore the ones we have? What if they choose to ignore the new rules?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aberdeenshire Cricket Association :: Forum Index -> It's the Law All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: